What are you going to do this weekend? John “Gonzo” Gonzalez runs down some of the biggest event happening in the state of Michigan.
Courtesy photoCirque du Soleil Quidam will be performing in Detroit from Thursday through Sunday (Feb. 2-5, 2012) at Joe Louis Arena for seven performances only.
So, what are you going to do this weekend?
I’m John Gonzalez from Mlive Media Group, and all my friends call me “Gonzo,” especially on Facebook.
As some of you know, I have done a Gonzo’s Top 5 for many years in Grand Rapids, and last year I also compiled a weekly list for my friends in Muskegon and Kalamazoo.
Well, this year I’m on a new adventure: We’re calling it “Michigan’s Top 5” or “Michigan’s Best,” a weekly run down of some of the biggest and most interesting events happening in the state of Michigan.
Feel free to make suggestions. I always take requests.
And I also travel quite a bit. So, I gladly accept invitations to visit your community. Give me a shout out and I’ll give you a shout out on my “Going Gonzo” blog on Mlive.com or in your newspaper.
Now, drum roll please…..
Here are “Michigan’s Top 5” events for the weekend:
5. Mid-Michigan Women’s Expo. I love the catch phrase for this year’s Expo: “Something to Feel Good About! Your Health, Your Home, Your Style!” It’s a great weekend for women to get out of the house for a little pampering and TLC and this weekend’s Expo will over everything needed to make a perfect girl’s night out. Hours are 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m.-5 p.m. on Super Bowl Sunday at the Lansing Center, 333 East Michigan Ave. Admission is $8. More info at kohlerexpo.com.
4. Mid-Winter’s Chocolate Therapy Fest. Hello! Chocolate! I know we have some readers out there who are all about the chocolate. Someday I’ll tell you about my niece in the Saginaw area who would take it as an IV drip if she had the option. This weekend at Shanty Creek Resorts in Bellaire is the Mid-Winter’s Chocolate Therapy where chocolatiers from around the state gather for an afternoon of everything chocolate! In the Bellaire Ballroom of the Lakeview Hotel, Summit Village, attendees can enjoy chocolate samples, chocolate-making demos, a cupcake competition, Valentine’s gifts, chocolate spa treatments, and more. There is also live jazz music. Hours are 4-6 p.m. Friday. More details at (800) 678-4111 or at ShantyCreek.com.
3. “Cirque du Soleil: Quidam.” Have you ever been to a “Cirque” show? This weekend experience an international cast featuring 52 world-class acrobats, musicians, singers and characters in a show that had its world premiere in Cirque’s home base of Montreal in 1996. Fans can attend one of seven shows this weekend — 7:30 p.m. Thursday through Sunday — at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. Tickets ($75-$95) can be purchased at OlympiaEntertainment.com, the Fox Theatre and Joe Louis Arena box offices, and at all Ticketmaster locations and Ticketmaster.com. More info at (800) 745-3000.
2. Art of Robert Rauschenberg. In this rare exhibition of the works of Robert Rauschenberg, one of the 20th century’s most important American artists, viewers can experience an ambitious three-part show taking a closer look at his groundbreaking works. The exhibition — only seen in Paris and New York — opens Friday and runs through May 20 at the Grand Rapids Art Museum, 101 Monroe Center NW. Admission is $8, $7 seniors and students with ID, $5 children 6-17 ($5 5 p.m.-9 p.m. Fridays). More info at artmuseumgr.org, 616-831-1000. The museum is closed on Mondays.
1. Bill Cosby. I love comedy or at least the art of making people laugh with a great story or joke. And none is better at it than Bill Cosby, a comedian who spans age groups and is the consummate professional. Check out his show at 8 p.m. Friday at the Soaring Eagle Casino in Mt. Pleasant. Tickets start at $32. I will be there. Make sure to say hello.
Take care, everyone. And have a great weekend!
Email John Gonzalez at jgonzale1@MLive.com or follow him on Twitter at Twitter.com/MichiganGonzo